Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Domestic Life

Since I've been home on winter break, I've found myself indulging in many domestic pleasures.  When I'm at college, I don't have access to any type of kitchen (unless you count a microwave) and all sewing has to be done by hand.  Since I'm not an extraordinarily patient person, i tend to forgo sewing, and just immerse myself in it when i go home.  The same goes for baking.  Yesterday, I ended up taking advantage of everything I have at my house.  I woke up, knitted, sewed, then baked.  I turned into a 21st century June Cleaver.

Somehow, a couple of months ago, my mom and I ended up with an entire bolt of this crazy, psychedelic, cotton print.

  



It's a really fun pattern, but unfortunately, it's nothing i would ever wear, or even use for something like curtains.  Yesterday, I thought that it would be fun to make a girly little apron with it.  I think it turned out pretty well.  I like the colors, and it's a cute classic shape.  I was going to attempt to add a ruffle around the bottom, but I made it too big and it looked awkward.  I think that later, I'm going to cut the ruffle in half, make two more, and make a four tier ruffle apron similar to this one.





I got to use my new apron later in the evening, when I baked cookies "with" (aka for) my friends at my house.  It wasn't the easiest cookie baking experience ever, because i did encounter some ingredient problems.  We don't have a microwave, so I had to attempt to bring frozen butter to room temperature with the toaster oven.  It wasn't pretty, but it worked well enough.  I then realized that we had no brown sugar, so I had to substitute molasses.  We also decided to make them Oatmeal Chocolate Chip, instead of just plain chocolate chip (which I'm famous for) but it all worked out well, and we ended up with some delicious cookies.







I working on knitting my first sweater currently, so i'll be sure to post it when I'm all finished!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I like what you did with the apron and can't wait to see your sweater.

    ReplyDelete